Bub’s down….

It’s been a stressful couple of days here at home. The Bub was out sick the whole of last week with a fever of 39 to 40 degrees that simply won’t go despite the regular medication of Progesic and Brufen. On day 4 of her fever, I noticed that her temperature was hovering around 39 – 40 degrees and she was feeling really hot while shivering. She looked pale and she vomitted all her food for the day. Something didn’t feel quite right and because the Man was scheduled to travel again, I suggested that we head to the hospital to have it checked out.

Guess the decision we made was right. When we arrived at the hospital and the nurse checked her temperature again, it was 40.7 degrees. The doctor on duty was of course concerned about the condition and suggested admitting her while they do more tests on her to determine what could be the actual course but high on the list was (i) Bacteria Infection (ii) Kawasaki.

It was quite a nerve-wrecking experience for the nurses/ doctor on duty had to wake Bub in the middle of the night to first draw 2 vials of blood. The Bub had just fallen asleep after a long day; I was reluctant to wake her up from her slumber but I also knew the deed had to be done and I might as well get it over and done with. The little one in her state of confusion cried in pain but after they managed to draw the 2 vials of blood, went back to sleep in my arms. A couple of hours later, I was once again woken by the doctor who confirmed that there was a bacteria infection from the initial blood test results and she wanted to start the little one on an antibiotics IV drip. There wasn’t much of a choice given that the IV treatment would tackle the bacteria faster than the oral treatment so I had to wake the Bub up and prep her for the procedure. This time round, I wasn’t allowed in the treatment room. I had to wait by the door as the nurses and the doctor pricked her and inserted the needle into her little hand. It was heart-wrenching but I had to trust that she’s in good hands and prayed that she will be strong enough to withstand the pain.

And she was! She was super brave indeed and she listened to the nurses/ doctors. It was as if she didn’t really cared about her other hand that was all bandaged up and thankfully, her body responded well to the antibiotics treatment.

The hospital also did an X-Ray on the Bub and results showed that the Bub had pneumonia. Don’t ask me how she got it but we figured the Bub probably got this as she just recovered from another episode of fever just the week before and her immune system was already weakened.

Pneumonia is a general term for lung infections that can be caused by a variety of germs (viruses, bacteria, fungi, and parasites). Often, pneumonia begins after an upper respiratory tract infection (an infection of the nose and throat), with symptoms starting after 2 or 3 days of a cold or sore throat. It then moves to the lungs. Fluid, white blood cells, and debris start to gather in the air spaces of the lungs and block the smooth passage of air, making it harder for the lungs to work well.

Symptoms vary depending on a child’s age and what caused the pneumonia, but can include:

  • fever
  • shaking chills
  • cough
  • stuffy nose
  • very fast breathing (in some cases, this is the only symptom)
  • breathing with grunting or wheezing sounds
  • working hard to breathe; this can include flaring of the nostrils, belly breathing, or movement of the muscles between the ribs
  • vomiting
  • chest pain
  • abdominal pain, which often happens because a child is coughing and working hard to breathe
  • less activity
  • loss of appetite (in older kids) or poor feeding (in infants), which may lead to dehydration
  • in extreme cases, bluish or gray color of the lips and fingernails

As you can see from the X-ray results, the the pneumonia appears to be in the lower part of the lungs near the abdomen, so the child might have a fever and abdominal pain or vomiting but no breathing problems. This was what the Bub had on Day 4 of her extreme high fever which made us decide to bring her to the hospital to seek treatment. Sigh.. if we only knew…

The hospital staycation lasted all of 3 nights and I’m just glad that we are back home. Not too sure how the Bub feels for she thinks it’s a holiday retreat and it’s no wonder why, she gets waited hand and foot the entire day in the hospital plus let’s not mention the little gifts that came along her way during her stay there. It might be a tad bit challenging to put her back on regular programming now…



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s