Weekends are meant for experimenting new recipes if I can help it and I’ve been trying to see if we can steer away for just plain old rice and soup with veggies and a meat. Since the pork dumplings were such a hit, I decided to try and make something pretty similar to them. Been wanting to try out baked chicken nuggets for the longest time, finally found a recipe that I think I can work with and decided to make them up for Bubba.
This turned out to be a recipe for keeps as it’s not only yummy for Bubba but also pretty darn yummy for the adults alike. Sharing the recipe here if you are interested to replicate. 🙂
Home-made Chicken Patties (Recipe adapted from Food for Tots)
Makes about 20-24 patties
- 300g of minced chicken
- 1/2 large fresh pearl corn-on-the-cob (you could use normal corn, there is no need to pre-cook the corn)
- 3 – 4 pieces of water chestnuts – finely diced
- 3 pieces of fresh portbello mushrooms – finely diced
- 1/4 white onion – minced (you could use red onion too)
- ½ cup normal breadcrumbs/ panko crumbs (Japanese breadcrumbs)
- 2 ½ tbsp cornflour
- 1 egg (lightly beaten)
- 2 tsp olive oil (or normal cooking oil is fine too)
- 1 tsp home-made silverfish powder
- 1/2 tsp home-made mushroom power
- 1/2 tsp home-made garlic powder
- Put minced chicken, sweet corn kernels, water chestnuts, mushroom and onions into a mixing bowl and combine well. Add in breadcrumbs and cornflour to the mixture.
- Add in egg, seasoning and oil. Stir in one direction until the batter is well distributed.
- Heat a little oil in a non-stick pan. I used my hand to roll the marinated meat into small patties before dropping it into the pan. Cook for 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Cook the patties in batches.
- Transfer patties to a serving plate lined with kitchen paper. Best to serve warm.
Here’s a pic of my happy 15 month old toddler (then) enjoying the patty. We are big on baby-led weaning so to encourage Bubba to self-feed, I think the patties are a good way to let her enjoy her food in her own pace.
Also, some have asked me when I posted this on a Facebook group whether this is sufficient as a meal. I fed Bubba about 4 pieces of these patties along with some rice as well as her vegetable soup. I think these patties would make a good party meal too if you are ever hosting one for little tots. Try them and let me know how it goes with your little ones. 🙂