We are going bananas here in the household! I kid you not! I have been on this banana craze baking up first the Banana Nutella Bread and because we had some riped bananas that will go bad if we didn’t use them, we baked up a batch of banana muffins just the other day.
I’ve now learned the hard way, when making cakes/breads/muffins with bananas in them, it’s best to use bananas that are really ripe as that will help make your bakes taste a lot sweeter.
Easy Banana Muffins with Pecans (recipe adapted from Eating Richly)
Makes about 6 large muffins
– 2 brown bananas (mashed)
– 1/4 cup of sugar
– 1 egg
– 3 tablespoons of melted butter
– 1 teaspoon of baking soda
– 1 teaspoon of baking powder
– 1/4 teaspoon of salt
– 1 cup of all-purpose flour
– handful of pecan nuts (chopped)
– additional butter softened to line muffin tin with or just use cupcake liners like we did
1) Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Peel the bananas and mash the bananas in a medium sized mixing bowl. Add sugar, egg, and butter and mix well.
2) Stir in baking soda, powder, salt, flour and pecan nuts. Mix well with a fork.
3) Use the softened butter to grease the cups of a muffin tin or simply line muffin tin with cupcake liners. Fill 3/4 full with batter and bake 13-15 minutes, until just golden.
4) Turn the muffins out onto a cooling rack and enjoy the afternoon treat!
I’m really amazed how simple and amazingly quick the recipe took to whip up a fresh batch of banana muffins. What’s great about this recipe is that you can play up the creativity if ever needed. We threw in pecan nuts because we had some lying around. If you fancy chocolate chips, nutella, almonds, walnuts, I bet you could put those in as well.
The banana muffins were so moist and I really liked it because the sugar content used for this was also kept to a low. If you are watching your waistline or do not have a sweet tooth, this recipe may just be for keeps! It’s definitely a winner in my books and looks like it will be making quite an appearance on our breakfast table. 🙂