It turned out to be a pretty simple recipe which made for a very tasty meal for a weeknight dinner.
Three Cups Chicken (三杯鸡) [Recipe adapted from Noobcook]
Ingredients: (Serves 2)
- 450g chicken thighs, cut to small pieces
- 1.5 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1.5 tbsp Chinese wine (Hua Tiao/Shao Hsing)
- 1 tsp dark soy sauce
- 10 cloves garlic, peeled & slightly bruised
- 2 stalks spring onions, cut to 5cm (2 inch) lengths
- 40ml water
- 0.5 tsp sugar
- 6 slices ginger & a handful of fresh sweet basil leaves (I left these out as I didn’t have them on hand)
- Heat sesame oil in pot and add garlic cloves, ginger, the thick bottom white ends of the spring onions. Stir fry until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add chicken pieces and stir fry until the surface is no longer pink.
- Sizzle Chinese wine and add light soy sauce, dark soy sauce, water and sugar. Stir evenly, and cover the lid to simmer for about 6 minutes.
- Add the rest of the spring onions and continue simmering until the sauce is greatly reduced.
- When the dish is cooked, stir in some fresh basil leaves before serving.
I guess the next time I’m making this, I will be throwing in some dried chilli or fresh chilli padi (bird’s eye chilli) for a spicy kick in the taste-buds.
What are some of your favourite weeknight meals? I’ll love to hear what’s cooking in your kitchen. 🙂