For a good part of Saturday, Instagram was down due to this. I’m too lazy to upload all of these back to my Instagram roll, so I’m just gonna put them down here. Not all, just the ones that I thought look kinda pretty. Oh, plus a recipe.
Caffeine fix found at Smitten Coffee and Tea Bar after a very hearty brunch of Ramen at Ippudo Tao.
Hosted a small dinner party with friends. Polished off lovely bottles of wine over some awesome crabs cooked by our dear friend – Doree who’s an amazing cook.
But having little kids in da house during the party also meant that the fur-kid got a little more excited than usual.
Dessert was kinda convenient. Friends simply ate the 2-tier cake that I had made. More on my cake to come.
First time trying out this Cheese Nougat recipe and it was a hit amongst friends. This recipe is definitely for keeps and am listing it here in case you’re interested to whip up something quick for a simple dinner party.
Cheese Nougat (adapted from Food Network)
Serves 6 – 8 people
- 1 1/4 cup of dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1 1/2 teaspoon gelatine
- 1/2 cup 35% cream
- 250 gm of cream cheese
- 1/4 cup non-salted, shelled pistachios
- Honey for serving
1) Line an 8 x 4 in container with plastic film.
2) In a bowl, re-hydrate the cranberries in boiling water for 10 minutes. Drain well and set aside.
3) In a bowl, powder the gelatine onto the cream. Let swell for 5 minutes. Melt in the microwave oven for 1 minute or until the gelatine is melted.
4) Use a food processor to pulsate the cheese for 15 seconds. Add the hot cream and mix until the mixture is smooth and homogenous.
5) In a bowl, mix the cheese, the cranberries and the pistachios. Pour into the mould. Cover and refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight if you like the nougat to be firmer.
6)Extract the nougat from the mould and cut into 1 inch slices (2.5 cm). Put one slice per plate. Drop a thread of honey and serve the cheese with either crackers or toast.
It’s really that simple! Try it the next time you need to whip up a jiffy savory dessert.